Belts such as these were worn by Officers, Regimental Sergeant Majors and Bugle Major of the 2nd King Edward VII’s Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles), an ancestor of today’s Royal Gurkha Rifles. The stylised figure of a Ram’s Head can be seen on the upper part of the belt. This design originates from the Battle of Koonja in 1824, when a unit of soldiers from the Sirmoor Battalion, as it was then known, attacked a large group of bandits in the fort of Koonja in northern India. Instead of besieging the fort, the Gurkha troops fashioned a battering ram from a nearby tree and gained a quick entry into the fort, allowing them to subdue its occupants. The battalion was awarded the honour of wearing a Rams Head as its insignia from then on. .
Following the latest Government guidance regarding COVID-19 and careful consideration of the current situation, The Gurkha Museum has decided to close its doors to the public in the interest of visitor and staff safety, effective immediately.
The Museum will remain closed until further notice but will continue to operate behind the scenes with reduced staff on call to answer queries during this time. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue updates through our website and social media channels as soon as we become aware of further changes to our operations.
May we thank our Visitors, Friends and Supporters for their understanding and support through this difficult period.